We empower the campus community of educators to engage in high-quality teaching, learning, and assessment for all of UD’s students.
We envision a learner-centered university where everyone values learning, high quality teaching is supported and rewarded, and communities of educators and students constantly advance our understanding and practices of teaching and learning.
We believe that…
- Teaching, learning, and assessment are inextricably linked.
- Teaching is a skill that can be developed and informed by knowledge, research, and reflection.
- High quality teaching can be recognized and should be rewarded and celebrated.
- Learning is the essential outcome and purpose of teaching.
- Students are most successful when their learning is guided by educators who continually assess their students’ and their own development, skills, and knowledge.
- The best learning occurs with engaged participants in an environment founded on principles of inclusive excellence.
- Educators most effectively understand and improve teaching, learning, and assessment when they create and collaborate with communities of experts with diverse interests, backgrounds, and disciplines.
- We can encourage and support the intellectual capital of the university by investing in projects and initiatives that help educators better understand existing teaching methods and develop innovative ones.
The University of Delaware is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and Title IX institution. For the University’s complete non-discrimination statement, please visit http://www.udel.edu/home/legal-notices/
To set up an appointment for any of our services, or to learn more about how CTAL can support your department of college, call our office at (302) 831-2027 or email CTALemail@example.com .
Consultations are one-on-one, confidential sessions with a member of our staff. We can provide support for all aspects of your teaching including helping you to devlop a new course, or create rubrics and assessments.
We perform classroom observations for those who wish to receive detailed feedback. The observation process begins with a preliminary consultation Click on this link to schedule the preliminary meeting. https://delaware.ca1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_cHIRkXuYErOfEj3
Whether you are preparing your tenure file, or just starting out as an instructor, our staff can help you create a plan to document your teaching and create a portfolio that documents excellence in instruction.
Assessment & Student Feedback
CTAL works with instructors to create innovative assessment tools, supported by the research in the science of learning. We can also help you illicit student feedback throughout the semester.
Grants and Grant Consultation
CTAL offers travel grant for instructors to attend conferences to enrich their teaching, learning, and assessment strategies. See this link to learn more: http://sites.udel.edu/ctal/advancing-faculty-careers/current-rfp/
Library and Online Resources
In our offices you will find an extensive library of books on teaching and assessment. In addition, we are constantly building and refining our online tools (such as the syllabus creator) that we make available to instructors.